10,101 words!
You would think I planned that, but I didn't. In fact, I had a pretty good laugh when I saw that.
Anyway...
(Roselyn shows up at Edmund's doorstep, injured, drenched and covered in mud. Roselyn insists that she doesn't need a physician, and promptly falls asleep on Edmund's bed after an exhausting journey.)
“One of my horses broke free this morning, and I sent her to go find him. Poor girl, got so caught up in it that she chased him all over the kingdom before taking a nasty fall in the wood.”
Roselyn was startled - who was Edmund talking to? She sat up quickly and braced herself against the head of the bed in fear. Slowly the door creaked open, and in walked Edmund, followed by a short, plump, ill-dressed man.
“Oh, Bethy, good timing, you’re awake.” Edmund said with a smile. Roselyn looked from Edmund to the short man and smiled weakly. “John, this is my servant Beth. Beth, I’ve brought John here to take a look at that leg of yours. He farms the land a few miles to the west.”
“You shouldn’t have.” she croaked.
“Oh, Bethy. I have to take good care of you, it’s the least I can do. Besides, you take such good care of me.”
“Pleasure to meet you, miss.” John said, holding out his stubby hand to Roselyn. She squeezed it gently, feeling more irate by the moment. John smiled widely. He was missing several of his teeth. “Boy, Edmund. You sure got yourself a good-lookin servant lady.”
“Yeah, well, you should see her without the mud.”
Roselyn fumed. John reached down and lifted her skirt. She shot a look of disdain at Edmund, who didn’t seem to notice.
“You made my work easy, miss Beth. I didn’t even have to guess which leg is the injured one.” John flashed another toothless grin and chuckled, lifting the skirt further to show Edmund. “See?”
“Ooh my. Ouch. Looks painful.”
“It is.” Roselyn said through her teeth. John gave her leg a good squeeze and she jerked her leg away. “OW!”
“Now just hold on, miss. This is going to hurt, but I’ve got to figure out if it’s broken or if ya just sprained it real good.”
“Hurt? You think?” She hissed. John squeezed her leg again, and Roselyn dug her fingers into the mattress in agony. He picked up her leg, moved it left, moved it right, then bent it at the knee. He pressed down with his fingertips and ran them slowly down her shin, squeezing every so often.
“Real hard to tell at this point, Ed. I don’t feel any obvious breaks, but with that swelling, it’s hard to tell. She still could have broken it. Keep her off her feet for a couple days. If it gets worse, it’s broken. Send for me, and we’ll see what we can do. If it gets better, it’s a sprain. Either way, she’s likely to be fairly useless for a few weeks, at least.”
“Thanks, John. Appreciate the advice.”
John nodded and smiled. “No problem, Ed.” He lowered his voice and leaned close to Edmund, “Hey, if you ever decide you don’t want her, let me know. I’ll make you a real fair offer.”
“Alright. Will do. Here, let me walk you out.”
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
10,101...........Woot! Woot!
Post a Comment