Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Snippet!

(Princess Roselyn has been pacing out in the garden. She knows that her father wants to speak with her, so she hasn't been able to leave the palace to meet up with her hunka-hunka Edmund. Servant Anne has come at last.)

“He seemed less irate than he was last night,” Anne said cheerfully, “If that helps. In fact, he seemed quite distracted.”
“Good. Maybe he’ll keep this short and leave me alone for a few weeks.”
Anne smiled and they headed back towards the palace.
“Not much of a day to be outside, my lady. It’s too dreary - there isn’t any sunshine. Perhaps tomorrow will be better.”
“It’s still better than being stuck inside,” Roselyn muttered, “Most of the palace smells foul, like the breath of every dead King of Cartha has been trapped in the building for centuries.”
“The palace just needs to be aired out. By the time summer comes, it won’t smell nearly so bad. I’m sure if we just get some flowers in there once they bloom, it‘ll brighten everything right up.”
“No, the palace always smells the same. Always the same, pungent smell, always the same moist bricks in the corridors. The outside walls will always be covered with that awful moss, and the doors will always give a sickly groan when you open them. Nothing ever changes around here.”
“Oh, but my lady, flowers come to life in the Spring, and the fields become a rainbow of color. In the summer, the crickets hold their own masques with the ladybugs and play symphonies among the tall grass. Then in the fall, the leaves become like jewels in the trees, rubies and blazing topaz strung together with the brightest gold. Obviously I’ve never seen it in winter, but I imagine it’s peaceful, blanketed under all that snow.”


Roselyn stared incredulously at Anne.
“You make this place sound like it is the most wonderful you’ve ever seen.”
“No, it’s not. But I believe that you choose your own path, my lady. If you decide to see everything that is bad, that is what it will be. But if you look for the beauty, even the darkest situation looks much brighter. I’m surprised that you don’t notice the beauty of the land, my lady, since you spend so much time in it.”


Sorry if it's not the most amusing snippet. A lot of what I've written so far has been setting up the story, and it's hard to separate it into a chunk that would make sense...

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

The two seem to be good for each other. The maid offers a bit of hope where the lady finds only darnkess.

Loved the maid's description of the summer celebration the wilds of their garden.

Sarah Ski said...

Thank you for commenting!

I, uh, thrive on comments on stuff I write. My inner writer screams for validation.

The maid, Anne, was kind of a lark. I only intended for her to walk Roselyn down a corridor once, but she's really taken on a life of her own. I'm glad you could see the tit-for-tat...not that I took pains to hide it...Rambling...

Glad you liked the descriptions! That's been one of my favorite things so far. :)