I dug out my original 20 page "Heart of Ice". I haven't looked at it in at least two years, possibly closer to three. Aside from the fact that it was actually a way better story than I gave myself credit for, I'm amused at how my thought patterns apparently haven't changed all that much. Here I've been brainstorming, thinking that I'm bloody brilliant for some of these ideas I'm cranking out, then I open the original story, and it's either there, or alluded to, or, if I'd had more time to work on it, I may have gotten there five years ago. So I'm not sure if I must have some really good ideas to think of them twice, or if I'm dumber for thinking of the same ideas twice.
Anyway, here's some things that made me giggle:
- Apparently I didn't think "Rose" was a long enough name then, either, because "Rose" was short for Rosalie - something I totally forgot. (At a later point in the story, for reasons I can't say because I realized it was an utterly brilliant plot point, I use the name Rosalynd. I love my weird hangups!)
- The father's original name was Edmund, mother was Lilian. Neither are names I particularly "like". But I've used Lilian for other things, such as a DnD character, and I just renamed the "Orlando" character Edmund. Geeze. (I've since done away with the mother, and made the father character more important/interesting)
- Rose still has long blonde hair.
- I was really good at foreshadowing! I mean, wow!
- I have scenes where I make Rose very selfish and inconsiderate, which is exactly what I'm going for this time around. This is like a back to the future moment...
- Line from 2003:
Think of it how you like, but realize this: the fate of this country, the people, rests on your actions.
Line(s) from 2008:
Roselyn, do you know how dangerous your actions today were? ... How can you be so selfish as to endanger yourself and the future of the country?
Different contexts, even. I apparently have a thing for her being responsible for the future of the country.
I had some awkward word choices back then, but overall, I was a really good writer for the time. Now I'm just afraid that I won't do the story justice, but on the other hand, it makes me really want to do the story justice. I'm really glad I found the story. Sarah of 2003 had some pretty good ideas.

No comments:
Post a Comment