Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Why I'll never be a writer.

I love to write, but I'm terribly unfocused. I have stories, or at least pieces of stories, but I won't just "put them to paper". I also choose to focus my "writing energies" into re-telling the mundane details of my life rather than the worlds in my mind.

So here's the three stories that keep coming around and kicking me in the shins, in the order of which they were first thought. Maybe talking about them will inspire me to pick one. :)

"Heart of Ice". I wrote this story the first time for a Speech and Creative Writing class my junior year of high school. The teacher required 5 pages, I gave her 20, and had many girls tracking me down in the halls, waiting for the next installment of my story. I keep feeling like I can re-do this story, do it right. I want it to be a historical fantasy, so to speak. My problem with this is the problem I have with all of my stories...I have a beginning, I have an end, I have no middle. I am bound and determined to have my ending (which I can't disclose here), but how I get there logically? Mmm...Anyway. The summary is this: Rose is in love with Orlando. The country is at war. Rose's father makes a pact with another country - Rose is then betrothed to Joaquin. What path will Rose take? Love, or love of family and country?

"Carrie Leighton" aka "Publicity Stunt". This was brought about by too many study halls my senior year of high school. A girl is whisked away by a movie star, into a life she could never imagine. Though she is asked to "play the part" of his girlfriend, she finds herself falling for him. Where I made it into a "better" story is when I decided to make it a "memoir", written as an expose' many years after the fact. What if all along, those tabloids were right and all of these celebrity romances were publicity stunts? Trust me, it's much more rivetting when I lay out all the details.

"Zoe" aka "The Awesome Title-less Story". I decided to "just write" one evening in my fiance's basement. I wrote a 1 page narrative about a girl sitting on a beach, looking in the distance at a guy she'd never met...a guy she saw on the beach at a distance every year when her family took a vacation. That narrative has swelled into a story with a universe of it's own. "Zoe" is now a person with a past, a fleshed out family, and a future. She is the daughter of a powerful senator, sent off to train in the galactic military (a draft, basically) to fight against the rebels who want to change the galaxy. But then, a powerful discovery changes everything.

2 comments:

Krista Heiser said...

I'm eager to find out which one you choose!

And, I'm really not stalking you...

It's funny that when I picked someone's bio on NaNoWriMo, I picked yours. I actually laughed out loud when I saw your picture here on the blog. I was all like, "I know that face!" LOL

Sarah Ski said...

Well, clearly you were just destined to be my bud, Krista!