Tuesday, September 8, 2009

It's (almost) that time again : opinions wanted.

It's September - so it's almost November - time for NaNoWriMo! You may think I'm crazy, and perhaps I am. But here's the scoop: I have yet to finish my NaNo novel from last year. I must finish this novel for two reasons.

1. It's the closest I've ever come to finishing a novel, it's the novel of legendary proportions that I've waited five ... now six years to re-write in proper glory, and if I don't finish this novel that I am oh-so-passionate about, I might never finish a novel. That would be tragic. Boo hoo. Cue tears.

2. I said so - I'm holding my participation in NaNoWriMo hostage until I finish.

So, I need to be the model of writing efficiency for the next month. This year's NaNo is going to be harder than the last, because whatever I pick, I won't have had five years of brewing. My hope is to finish "Roselyn's Legacy" and jump right into planning for the next one. The problem being that I'm going to be so busy writing that I won't have time to stew over my choices - also, my indecision is legendary. So I'm letting you fine people make the decision for me.

Yes, you heard me right - whatsoever ye picketh, I writeth. So pick well.

Here, ladies and gentlemen, are the story idea contenders for this year's NaNo, presented in all my rambling glory. Keep in mind that these are not "titles", simply how I refer to them to keep them straight in my head. Also, yes, I'm completely incapable of writing a story without some sort of "boy and girl fall in lurve" plot line. This is not the central line of all of them, however, nor does it mean that the story will end predictably. I've killed off a main character once, and I can do it again, people! ;)

1. "Emily" : When Emily is very young, her mother dies. Her father, devastated, runs off and joins the circus. Emily spends the next thirteen years being shuffled between relatives, eventually landing with her spinster great aunt. By the age of 17, Emily has issues - abandonment, mistrust, and loneliness, to name a few. But then she meets Derek, the hottie quarterback with a stable family. Is this the turning point she’s been waiting for, or will life continue to be unkind to this girl who has already been through so much?

2. "Superheroes": The year is 2030.Years of political corruption have left major cities infested with crime. By day, they are waiters, journalists, even a politician. But by night, they are masked avengers, doing what the police haven’t since 2023. But can such a diverse group work together for long when two of the men are bent on winning the affections of one of their lady comrades even if means manipulation and deceiving each other?

3. "That Romantic Comedy": Meet Amy. She owns a semi-successful local bridal shop and is, ironically, terminally single. Everyone in her group of friends has paired off, leaving her and James - the charismatic commitment phobe who left her heartbroken. James turns up at the store in search of a job - he’ll sell a job to the next woman to enter the shop, no matter what! But what happens when James’ charisma turns her store into an overnight success?

4. "Zoe": Zoe is the daughter of a powerful senator in a time of galactic turmoil. Drafted into the military, she assumes she will serve a desk job as a mere formality. But thrust into the heart of the conflict, she finds herself in over her head. Then a startling revelation changes everything and Zoe finds herself as a political pawn ... and weapon.

So cast your vote and leave your opinions here. The winning story will be named on September 30th.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first vote is "Zoe" and my second is "That Romantic Comedy."

JG

Krista Heiser said...

First Choice: Romantic Comedy. Mainly because I'd like to read it.

Second Choice: Zoe. Again, because I'd like to read it.

Anonymous said...

I lost my whole comment when I went to preview it! Dangit!

Anyway, to make a long comment short:

#1 - Zoe, because I am a Star Wars geek :)

#2/3 - Emily/That Romantic Comedy (tie) - I would love to see where Sarah's mind takes those stories

#4 - Superheroes

Good luck! Break a pen, or a keyboard, or something....

Sheri (bestill)

ShineMaberry said...

1. Zoe

2. Superheroes

Matt S said...

ZOE

Unknown said...

1. Emily

2. That Romantic Comedy

Com02 said...

Zoe or Superheros

db said...

I'm torn between Superheroes and Zoe.

I'd really like to see where Superheroes goes though.

I did snicker at That Romantic Comedy MC's name. =D *hides*

-disko

Tistine said...

I vote for Zoe :)

Krista Heiser said...

Looks like Zoe is in the lead..

Anonymous said...

Zoe looks very interesting, so I think I'll go with that one. Have fun writing! :)

caro said...

Zoe would be my first choice, following by The Romantic Comedy.

CrimeSceneFairy said...

Heyy...it's boredomprone :) Superhero looks tons of fun to write, but i'll have to cast my vote for Zoe :D